Erin Taylor Young Mentoring Services
New to publishing? Here’s how I can help you!
“A writing career is a long, wonderful, difficult, creative, thirsty, passionate, collaborative journey of obedience…”
You’ve been tasked by the Almighty God to do this thing called writing, so now what? Where—how—do you start?
You have questions like…
- What does an agent do? Do I even need one?
- Do I need a website? Do I need to blog?
- How do I get my book published?
- What about self publishing?
- What do I need to know about marketing?
- How do I protect my work from being stolen?
- How do I prepare for a writers conference?
- An editor told me my work isn’t ready for publication. Now what?
I know what it’s like to be a newbie writer starting from scratch, looking for answers, living with a tight budget. And now I want to help you! (Affordably!)
Here’s a bit of my experience…
- I’m traditionally published with a large publisher.
- I co-founded a small publishing company, which I still help to run by doing acquisitions, editing, website and newsletter updates, author relations, and marketing.
- I’m also indie publishing, because sometimes that’s the best choice.
- I have a literary agent, but that doesn’t mean I think an agent is right for everyone.
- As the co-creator of Write from the Deep, I built this website and do biweekly podcasts with editor and agent Karen Ball.
- I teach at writing conferences including the ACFW national conference, the Write To Publish conference, Oregon Christian Writers conference, the Write Well Sell Well conference, and the OWFI conference.
- My deepest passion is the Word of God, and bringing His truth, whether in my own books or in the books of other authors, to readers.
Are you ready to start a writing career?
It’s more than just putting words on a page. Much more.
I believe a successful writing career has three crucial aspects: Craft, Commerce, and Christ.
Here’s how I can help you walk in a balance of all three…
MENTORING IN CRAFT
You’ll send me 10 pages of your work (either fiction or nonfiction), and I’ll determine the areas you need to refine to take your work to the next level. We’ll talk about writing technique (arc, voice, dialogue, structure, POV, character development, etc.), resources, genre, industry expectations, and come up with a plan. Then through mentoring (see below) we’ll tackle the plan together, or I’ll connect you with top-notch, well-established pros in the industry.
We’ll work together on your areas of weakness. Sessions will be hour-long video calls with instruction and critique on your progress. You pay for as many or as few sessions as you need to progress through each facet of craft that you wish to improve.
Ask Me Anything:
Maybe you just have a question or two about, say, three act structure, or inciting incidents, or proposals. Maybe POV is a mystery to you. Maybe you’re thinking about switching genres and you want advice. These hour-long video calls are about whatever you need help with.
MENTORING IN COMMERCE
Whether or not you’re solely in this for the ministry, the publisher that you’re hoping will publish your work is operating a business with employees counting on a paycheck. Publishers want to work with reliable professionals. These hour-long video calls give you the information and training you need to be just that—a professional.
We’ll cover things like when you need a domain name, a website, a pen name. We’ll discuss social media, PR, and the hows and whys of newsletters. We’ll go over the pros and cons of an LLC and the benefits and drawbacks of traditional publishing vs. indie publishing. We’ll talk about publishing contracts, first rights, copyrights, and a slew of other business issues. And we’ll make sure you’re clear on your work habits and time constraints so you’ll have confidence that you can deliver a manuscript on time.
Ask Me Anything:
Maybe you just have some questions about how to format your ebook with Scrivener, or how to use Scrivener in general, or what the heck Track Changes is, or the mysteries of MailChimp, or websites, or blogs. These hour-long video calls are about whatever you need help with.
MENTORING IN CHRIST
This is where everything comes together…or falls apart. The writing journey is filled with joy, tribulation, wonder, heartache, and everything in between. It will test you heart and soul. Don’t walk into it spiritually unprepared.
These weekly video calls are all about discipleship. We’ll cover things like:
- How to protect your writer’s heart
- How God transforms your scars into your message
- How to write with God instead of for God.
- How to go deeper with God to prepare you for the long obedience of a writing journey
- Your definition of success
And we’ll discover what your WHY is, both as a Christian and a writer.
Ready to get started?
ARE YOU HEADING TO A CONFERENCE?
Let me help you get ready! I offer a one-hour personal strategy session designed to help you make the most of your conference experience.
- What to expect at the conference
- What to bring
- How to prepare
- Which sessions are most appropriate for you
- I’ll evaluate your writing level so you’ll know going in what areas you need to work on
- We’ll create a strategy for your appointments based on your writing level
- We’ll also work on your pitch so you’ll have confidence whenever you’re asked: So…what do you write?