32 – Refilling Your Well of Creativity
The deep brings us many challenges, not the least of which is how it depletes our ability to be creative. How can you inspire others with your writing when it seems your well of creativity has nothing in it but dust? But God can refill that well, even in the deep. Let these simple suggestions prime the pump of your creativity.
One of the results of being in the deep places is that it wears on our spirit. We can grow worn out, and as a result, we find ourselves unable to write or create.
The Top Resource
Our first and best resource for being refreshed and refilled, for feeding our spirit at any time, is time with God. It can be through reading Scripture, being quiet with Him, prayer…or whatever way you focus on Him best. Let Him speak to you.
But God is a God of infinite creativity, and He speaks and refreshes us in other ways as well. Let’s look at some of those ways to supplement our focused time with Him.
More ways to Refill Your Creativity Well
- Reading Scripture, devotions, memoir, fiction
- Story – Our God invented story. We discover truth or see it in new ways through story.
- Movies – Sometimes things from a simpler time help us step away from the difficulties of today and refresh us.
- Nature – Delighting in God’s creation, or even the changes in weather. This can be as simple as stepping into your backyard or talking a walk in your neighborhood.
- Time with friends
- Time with pets
- Crafts, cooking, decorating, or other hobbies – these can free and refresh your subconscious.
If you’ve been in the deep, and if you’re feeling like you just don’t have anything left to give, any creativity left to put on the page, then it’s not only okay, but it’s imperative to step away and refresh. To find ways, sometimes small ways, sometimes big ways, to let God refill the well of your creativity. To refresh your worn and weary spirit. And to do that in a way that works for you. Because we can’t draw from a dry well and expect to bring refreshment to anyone else.
Creativity is a gift God gives to us to reflect Him and His glory. And He is faithful to provide everything His children need in His time, in His way. For your good and His glory.
We want to hear from you!
What are some creativity refreshers that work for you?